ANALYSIS OF THE IMPACT OF SOCIAL WELFARE SCHEMES AS PROVIDED BY CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETIES.
A CASE STUDY OF CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY, WARRI, DELTA STATE
Isusu Co-operative Society is an association of all categories or level of members without religious, political and ethnic inclinations. It exists with an aim of giving self-help to the members through uniformed monthly contributions. It provides some benefits and rights to the members.
The co-operative society has existed with some problems, which affects the progress of society. The problems as discovered were due to the poor managerial effect and inexperienced member.
These problems were X-rayed in this study and recommendations to remedy and prevent the further occurrence of such problems were which consequently would see the organization moving positively.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.1 General Background to the Subject Matter
1.2 Problems Associated with the Subject Matter
1.3 Problem(s) that the Study will be concerned with
1.4 The Importance of Studying the Area.
1.5 Definition of Important Terms
Chapter References (Using APA Method)
2.0 Literature Review
2.1 The Origin of the Subject Area
2.2 Schools of Though within the Subject Area
2.3 The Schools of though relevant to the Problem of Study
2.4 Different Methods of Studying the Problem
3.1 Data Presentation (Highlight)
3.2 Analysis of the Data
3.4 Conclusion 29
The impact of social welfare schemes provided by co-operative societies. A case study of ‘Isusu’ Co-operative Society, Warri, Delta State.
Before we go into the topic proper, let us have a look on the meaning and embodiment of the phrase. ‘Social Welfare Schemes’ and also the co-operative society.
According to the Advance Learners Dictionary: Social Welfare Schemes are plans of arrangements, which are made to alleviate the immediate problems of the problem around. These plans are geared towards providing the people with basic infrastructures such as electricity, pipe borne water educational facilities, employment, provision, health services, establishment of savings schemes such as co-operative banks etc. In this light, the co-operative societies, in particular, Isusu co-operative society has deemed it appropriate to embark on some social welfare schemes will serve as a boost to their membership strength and also in fulfillment of their co-operatives seventh (7th) principle which stipulates: Concern for community.
The co-operative society in the other hand is defined according to the International Co-Operative Alliance (I. C. A.) as an autonomous association of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic social and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise. This society is purged of any religious, political or ethnic inclinations and aimed at solving members’ economic problem and also caring for their immediate environment within their financial capacity to do so.
The co-operative societies have a set of principle guiding its activities. These are:
(1) VOLUNTARY AND OPEN MEMBERSHIP
(2) DEMOCRATIC MEMBER CONTROL
(3) MEMBER ECONOMIC PARTICIPATION
(4) AUTONOMY AND INDEPENDENCE
(5) EDUCATION, TRAINING AND INFORMATION
(6) CO-OPERATION AMONG CO-OPERATIVES
(7) CONCERN FOR COMMUNITY
The cynosure of this study is on the seventh (7th) and last principle; concern for community. While focusing on member needs and wishes, co-operatives work for the sustainable development of their communities.
Co-operatives owe the community(ies) in which they are located some obligations. They aspire to be good co-operative citizens of their country and their local community. They will not behave or engage in any anti-social born. They will protect their environment, provide their communities and assist the communities in its growth.
Co-operatives also assist the poor and handicapped in society, a part of the surplus is allocated to this. Co-operatives in wealthy nations extend their assistance to the growth of their communities by embarking on ‘Social Welfare Scheme’. Co-operatives are not primary charitable organizations, Red Cross or Caritas International. They are not exploitative, self-centered institutions, either; their primary objectives are service to their members. But, at the same time, they are a trustic and caring, and generally committed to their immediate communities.
This study titled “The Impact of Social Welfare Schemes Provided by Co-operatives” with or special reference to ‘Isusu Co-operative Society’ based in Enerttan, Warri Local Government Area of Delta State, is with an aim of ascertaining the effect or impact of the Welfare Schemes (basic infrastructure granted to the community). Provided by Isusu to co-operative society to her immediate environment, Enerhen Local Government of Warri, Delta State and the Impact this gesture has on the Co-operative Society.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
This is a theoretical framework that will be dealt with in this research work. This is addressed in two basic questions.
(1) What is the impact of social welfare schemes to the society (members of the Enrhen environment) and to the co-operative society?
(2) What are the problems affecting the impacts of such objectives?
To answer these questions, this study tries to give due to the aim, objective and the problems in hand and also give the conclusive answer in the subsequent pages. Co-operative societies are concerned with meeting the common needs and aspirations of its members. But apart from meeting the needs of its members, there is also the concern for the community(ies) where it is found.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
In this study, the following problems were observed
(1) Poor electric power supply due to low capacity transformer.
(2) Impure drinking water due to lack of good source of drinking water.
(3) Poor educational facilities in the community secondary school.
(4) Sky rocketing rate of unemployment in the community.
(5) Poor health-care service in the society or community
(6) Economic debt riddeness of the citizens of the community.
1.3 PROBLEM(S) THAT THE STUDY WILL BE CONCERNED WITH
The problem of this study is to remedy and prevent the continuation of these problems stated in the statement of problems of this study.
(1) Finding the most efficient way of providing the social welfare to the community
(2) Finding ways of improving their reserve fund to meet their aims.
(3) Making sure the co-operative societies live within the financial capability of the society.
1.4 IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING THE AREA
The significance of this study has to do with the vital of the study or what should be the benefit of the people.
The significance of this study; “the Impact of Social Welfare Schemes provided by Co-Operative Societies” is to determine the impact of such schemes on the members of Enerhen metropolis and also the impact of the schemes on the co-operative society itself.
It is also pertinent to note that this study provides an avenue for the spreading of the organizational around the state and even beyond.
The significance of this study also gives us the opportunity to determine the extent to which co-operative societies contribute to the development of the nation. In other words, co-operative societies play a vital role in the development process or a nation. With the aid of this study, the effectiveness of Isusu co-operative society’s management system has been analysed and it has been inferred that the management system is effective, judging from the caliber of schemes it has executed and the significant impact of the schemes.
1.5 DEFINITION OF VITAL TERMS
THE IMPACT OF SOCIAL WELFARE SCHEMES.
According to the statement of problem, some certain problems gave rise to the need for the setting up of such schemes by ‘Isusu co-operative society. Below are the solutions to the problems and their corresponding impacts on the community and to the co-operative society itself.
(1) A new transformer was brought in place of the old low capacity transformer with the new transformer in action; power supply to the community was rekindled and is now in constant supply.
(2) The sinking of borehole has brought in a good source of water (drinking) supply.
(3) The community secondary school has been replenished with most of the relevant.
(4) Job opportunities have been offered to the unemployed and most of the community members are now salary earners.
(5) The co-operative society, through its social welfare scheme has been able to provide additional mobile clinics to boost health care services.
(6) With the establishment of a savings scheme: Cooperative banks. Citizens of Enerhen can now save money. Pay their dents and also improve their standard of living.
The social welfare schemes embarked upon by ‘Isusu Co-operative society’ has some impact on the organization as well as the citizens of Enerhen Local Government Area.
To the Organization:
(1) Creation Of Awareness: When a co-operative society embarks on a social welfare scheme as listed above it is simply and in everyday making its existence fit in the community where it is located. When this is done, then, interests are aroused in intending members.
(2) Membership Strength Increases: After the awareness has been created through a well thought planned and executed scheme, new members are admitted voluntarily and consequently with particular reference to ‘Isusu Co-operative Society’ Enerhen, Warri Local Government Area of Delta State.
This is with an aim to produce the vital finding out the factors that are affecting the community and finally, remedy the problems. This study tries to answer how the benefits from the welfare scheme could be derived. This study is a case study of ‘Isusu Co-operative Society’ Enerhen, Warri, Delta State. The membership strength with increase, not only the increase in membership but also, the increase in their net surplus.
(3) Granting of Loans and other Right: Due to the good work done, principle of co-operative societies. At the accomplishment of the schemes, the seventh principle is achieved. Apart from its impact on the co-operative society. It also exerts some impact on the citizen of Enerhen environment:
(i) More people get employment and they are able to improve their living standards and save for investment.
(ii) They now see the co-operative as profitable and worthy of belonging to.
(iii) They enjoy good health due to the provision of drinkable pipe-borne water and efficient health-care system.
(iv) Some of them are moved to raise such an organization in order to emulate the good work of the present one. In a nutshell, the impact of social welfare schemes is that it puts every human on the right course.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Using our service is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited by any university/college policies
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced)
3. For PROPER paraphrasing ( see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing ( if referenced properly)
Thank you so much for your respect to the authors copyright.
For more project materials
Log on to www.grossarchive.com