THE IMPACT OF EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP IN AN ORGANIZATION
(A CASE STUDY OF EDO BROADCASTING SERVICE – EBS ADUWAWA, BENIN CITY)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Leadership is a very important issue in any organization. Most organizations particularly the public sectors organization has been described performing below expectation because the quality of leadership they adopt.
Leadership is very important at all levels within an organization. Leadership is the moral and intellectual ability to imagine and work for what is best for the organization and the staff. Effective leadership helps to develop an organization and the integration of individual and group goals in the organization within the society.
Leadership involves influencing people to exert more effort in some task or to change group member’s behaviour. Leadership influence individual to participate actively in the group’s activities. Leadership position is designated position of authority in an organizational chart. For example, the position of a chairman in local government is a leadership position
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The researcher embarked on this study due to the following problems.
1. Inability of the leaders in an organization to adopt a new change
2. Over managing i.e not willing to delegate responsibilities to subordinate.
3. Inability to plan strategically toward the adoption of a new leadership style. i.e when the leadership style in an organization is not favourable or effective, the leaders in the organization may find it difficult to plan how to adopt a new leadership style.
4. Leader in organization may sometimes ignore workers welfare, this may lead to workers not being motivated.
Suggesting a way forward or a way out of the above problems, it is therefore necessary to the leaders in organizations to put their subordinate in mind when making decisions.
Again, workers should be discipline so that they do not exhibit careless attitude, lack of interest and unwillingness to discharge their duties.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main objectives of this research work are as follows:
In this research work, in order to limit the exercise, this research work is aimed at achieving the following end.
1. To explain the impact an effective leadership has in organizations
2. To explain how the goals and objective of an organization can be achieved through effective leadership
3. To examine different types of leadership style that exist in organizations.
4. To explain the term “Leadership” and its theory and how it is applicable in organizations
5. To examine how effective leadership has helped to enhance workers performance in an organization.
6. To explain the nature of leadership that exists in most organization and E.B.S.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
The study sought answers to the following research questions.
1. What are the impact of effective leadership in organizations?
2. How can the goals and objective of effective leadership be achieve in organization?
3. What are the style of leadership that usually exist in organizations?
4. How can the theory of leadership be effectively applied in organizations?
5. Does effective leadership enhance organizational growth?
6. Which of the leadership style exist in your organization?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
In this source of this research study, the following has been deduced as the significance of this research study.
At the end of this research work, leaders in organizations will be aware of the major role they need to play in carrying out their duties and responsibilities. This research will also be useful to most leaders in deciding on what type of leadership style they should adopt in their organizations.
This project will also be useful to students who wish to become leaders in the future.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research work covers leadership style in organization and how it affects workers in the organization. The areas covered in the research work include E.B.S and find out how the council can adopt a favourable leadership style.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is limit due to some factors such as:
1. Time factor: The time giving was too small for me (the researcher) to carry out the project work easily.
2. Finance:- This also causes a hindrance to carrying out my research work more easily.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
LEADERSHIP: According to Nwanna (2001) leadership is the ability of a leader to influence his subordinates so that they strive willingly toward the attainment of organizational objectives or goals.
WORKER: Worker can be defined as a person with effort of any kind, physical of mental, skilled or unskilled, artistic or scientific usually for a reward.
PERFORMANCE: Performance is an action or achievement considered in relation to how successful or non-successful a worker contributed in organization productivity.
MANAGEMENT: This is used to describe the selected group of people at the helm of affairs in any organization. They work with and through others in realizing the objective of the organization.
ORGANIZATION: This means an establishment entity with an explicit or implicit objective.
DEVELOPMENT: The gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advances, stronger a new event or stage that is likely to effect what happens in a continuing situation. It could be in political and economical.THE IMPACT OF EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP IN AN ORGANIZATION