This research work tilled “ Public Relations as a tool for Customer Attraction and Retention in the service Industry ( A case study of NTA Enugu services to some selected financial institutions)” was carried out with the objective of:
- Finding out the impact of public relations on consumer patronage of NTA Services
- Finding out of public relations a successful tool in attracting and retaining customers.
- Finding out which public relations tools are most effective.
- Recommending what can be done to maintain and enhance public relations and its positive effect on the company.
In achieving the above objectives, related literature were reviewed on how public relations can be effective to service industries.
In addition secondary and primary data were collected from customers of NTA station Enugu.
Population of the study impresses both relevant staff and management of NTA, two service companies which are NICON Insurance and Union Bank was studied.
A population of 21 was used for the staff of NTA while 55 was used for the consumers. The researcher used census survey because the population is small and could be studied completely.
According to questionnaire collected and interview conducted relevant data were analyzed and hypotheses tested.
The analyzed data brought out the followings:
- That public relation as a vital tool in attracting customers
- Also that public relations helps NTA in attracting and relating it’s numerous customers.
- That without effective and efficient public relations activities on the services industry (NTA) I customer relationship can not be cordial and this companies can never satisfy their customers let alone retaining them.
Based on the findings the following recommendations were made.
- A market oriented public relations department should be built by the management of all service industries especially NTA Enugu.
- Public relations tools employed by a company can attract and retain patronage. The impact of these tools on consumers can only be determined though researching into public relations activities so that the consumer will be satisfied.
- Every staff of NTA should always be conscious of their treatment to customers. Although a majority of those respondents claimed to have a satisfactory relationship with the staff on NTA. It is not a bad idea of all the respondents have the some vie. This will give an edge to the firm over their competitors.
If the above suggestions and recommendation are effectively and efficiently followed, the Nigeria Authority (NTA) will witness an increase in their customer patronage and thereby reap the benefit of a positive button life on an going base.
TABLE OF CONTENT
TITLE PAGE II
APPROVAL PAGE III
TABLE OF CONTENTS X
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY 1
1.2 BACKGROUND OF NTA ENUGU 1
1.3 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM 4
1.4 OBJECTIVE OF STUDY 4
1.5 HYPOTHESIS FORMULATION 5
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY 5
1.7 LIMITATIONS OF STUDY 8
1.8 DEFINITIONS OF TERMS 8
2.1 PUBLIC RELATIONS DEFINED 10
2.2 OBJECTIVE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS 11
2.3 MEDIA USED IN PUBLIC RELATIONS 12
2.4 MIX FOR SERVICES MARKETING 15
2.5 WHO IS A CUSTOMER 19
2.6 WHAT IS CUSTOMERS ATTRACTION/RETENTION 19
2.7 THE IMPACT OF PUBLIC RELATIONS ON CUSTOMERS 21
2.8 ATTRACTION AND RETENTION ON THE SERVICE INDUSTRY 21
2.9 PUBLIC RELATIONS AS A TOOL FOR ATTRACTION AND RETENTION CUSTOMERS IN NTA SERVICES .23
RESEARCH DESIGN 24
3.1 SOURCE OF DATA 24
3.2 POPULATION OF STUDY 25
3.3 DETERMINATION OF SAMPLE SIZE 25
3.4 RESEARCH INSTRUMENT USED 28
3.5 QUESTIONNAIRE ADMINISTRATION AND RESPONSE RATE 29
3.6 METHOD OF DATA ANALYSIS 30
DATA PRESENTATION, ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION
4.1 DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS 31
4.2 TESTING OF HYPOTHESIS 40
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, RECOMMENDATIONS AND CONCLUSIONS
5.0 SUMMARY OF FINDINGS’ 47
5.1 RECOMMENDATIONS 48
5.2 CONCLUSION 50