THE ROLE OF SMALL SCALE INDUSTRIES
IN REDUCING UNEMPLOYMENT IN ENUGU STATE
(A CASE STUDY OF AWGU LOCAL GOVERNMENT
AREA OF ENUGU STATE)
The reason for this study is to determine how to reduce unemployment through the Role of small scale industries in Awgu local government area of Enugu State, which can he managed using small capital. This problem has been a hindrance to the development of Awgu local government area and Enugu State as a whole. Apart from inflation, unemployment is one of the economic problem that can threaten social stability in a country. The role was very high. The high unemployment means that the economy is showing down output by failing to put it’s people to work. If employment is provided to the generality of the people it will enhance the growth and standard of living of the people.From the findings, respondents have had the research that small scale business might not fully help the situation, since lots of people or few do not find it easy engaging into small scale business due to lack of experience, lack of skill, etc. some people are afraid of the risk involved in establishing it. Recommendation were based on findings, government should provide a school were all initiators of small scale industries go for managerial training before and after establishing it. Proprietors should always require the service of management consultants for other proper management. All the small scale business owners should be made to employ other worker when they have grown as one of the criteria for reducing the rate of unemployment.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
1.3 Purpose of the Study
1.4 Research Question
1.5 Signification of the study
1.6 Scope of the study
1.7 Limitation of the study
1.8 Definition of terms
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
2.1 Early history of Management
2.2 The Evolution of Management Through
2.3 Definition and Function of Management
2.4 Personnel Management Policy in Management
2.5 The employment selection process
2.6 Job interview Defined
2.7 Summary of literature Review
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
3.1 Research Design
3.2 Area of Study
3.3 Population of the study
3.4 Sample And Sampling Procedures
3.5 Instrument for data collection
3.6 Validation of the Instrument
3.7 Reliability of the Instrument
3.8 Method of Collection
3.9 Methods of Data Analysis
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
4.1 Presentation Analysis
4.2 Summary of Findings
DISSUSION, RECOMMENDATION AND CONCLUSION
5.1 Discussion of Result
5.2 Implication of Research Findings
5.4 Suggestion for Further Findings
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Unemployment, particularly long-term unemployment is the most savage cause of poverty and disadvantages in our community. It is the cause of enormous personal and financial hardship for hundred of thousands of people and their families.
This Oxford advanced learners dictionary defined unemployment as the number of people without paid jobs that is the state of being without a paid jobs over a period of time. It is a state of not engaging in economic activities, being without work for a certain period of time, when one is able and willing to work.
Apart from inflation, unemployment is one of the economic problems that can threaten social stability in a country. It has created a lot of social problem to the society presently in Nigeria, it has become unmanageable problem to those who are able and willing to work.
In the early 1960’s, more than quarter of the Nigerian labour force was unemployed. In particular regions and occupants, the unemployment rate was very much higher. High unemployment means that the economy is showing away output by failing to put up people to work. It also means misery, social unrest and hopelessness for the unemployed.
By the 1980’s not only was it that the cost of unemployment might have been over stated in addition, government in Nigeria began to perceive an even area danger to economic and social instability, the danger of higher and rising inflation on this note, by the end of 1980’s Nigerian government has embarked on fighting monetary and fiscal policies to try and keep inflation under control.
Unemployment was high during the Nigeria civil war in 1957-1960 which caused damages in the cause of many Nigerians up till date.
Currently unemployment in Nigeria has created a lot of damages in peoples life, especially the youths (Graduates) precisely in Agwu local government area.
The total number of people seeking for job are much more than the available vacancies. This being the kind of situation the economist call “deficiency of demand”, that means, the overall demand for goods and services with the available wage rates and labour productivity is not enough to generate jobs for all those who are willing to work.
If employment is provided to the generality of the people, it enhances the growth and standard of living of the people. A paid job is a very important aspect of every individual life, it is useful for the sustenance, maintenance, nature and image retainment of one’s personality. This shows the reason why some unemployed see their lives as meaningless and hopeless. An unemployed person is prone to being a frustrated armed robber, murderer and many atimes commit suicide, etc.
It is in recognition of the fact that each regime in this country be it the military or civilian designed its own different programme to alleviate the problems of unemployment and improve live of it’s citizens. Some of these programmes includes: National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP), Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), Family Economic Advancement Programme (FEAP), Co-operative Societies, National Directorate of Employment (NDE), among others. Of all these programmes, it has being recognized that the role and establishment and structural of small scale industries has helped so much in the development of the economy of a country.
According to Stanley Blue et al (1990), the employment rate is percentage labour who are without a job but are registered as being willing and available for work. Any person who is doing paid work for at least one hour is not considered to be unemployed.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
A dozen years of labour in the “vineyard” of small scale industries, failure convinces one that the integrating and application of the environment oriented management theories has been too long neglected. This project, the role of small scale industries in reducing unemployment in Enugu state is a step in the right direction.
To this end, we have chosen, as the main problem of this work to identify the nature, weakness and limitation inherent in the management of small scale industries in Nigeria in the area of reducing unemployment problem and am using Awgu local government area as a case study.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
1. This research work intend to determine the various means by which funds are been made available for the establishment of small scale industries in Awgu.
2. This study also tends to find out if there are basic infrastructural facilities like good roads, electricity, pipe borne water and security that will go a long way in attracting investors from other places into Awgu in order to patronize these small scale business.
3. It is also targeted at sensitizing the general public in Awgu on the urgent need to embark on the rapid establishment of small scale industries without depending solely on government for imaginary white collar jobs.
4. This study also seeks to discover if the prospective individuals who intend to start up this small scale business are properly equipped with the necessary skills to manage these industries.
5. This research work also seeks to recommend to government and it’s agencies to grant tax relief to upcoming small scale industries. This is geared towards encouraging rapid productivity of small scale industries and making Awgu a fertile ground for business opportunities.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Has the small scale industry been clearly defined to the understanding of the people in Awgu?
2. Have the people who intend to start up small scaled industries in Awgu been able to generate fund for the establishment?
3. Is there basic infrastructural facilities that will give comfort to those who are coming into Awgu to patronize small scale industries?
4. Do the sensitization of the people in Awgu on the urgent needs to embark on the establishment of small scale business helped them?
5. Has the role and establishment of small scale industries helped in reducing unemployment problem of the indigenes of Awgu local government area?
6. Do the people who intend to start up this small scale business have the necessary skills to properly manage the business?
7. Do the government and its agencies intend granting tax relief to the up coming small scale industries?
1.5 HYPOTHESIS FORMULATION
With reference to the study which is to remain on how the establishment of small scale industries have influenced the unemployment problem in Awgu.
In this study, hypothesis claims will be used to prove authentically the research question repose. Three hypothesis will be used in reducing it’s hypothesis assumption.
1. H0: Small scale industry has been dearly defined to the understanding of the people in Awgu.
HI: Small scale industry has not been dearly defined to the understanding of the people in Awgu.
2. BHI: The people who intend to start up small scale business in Awgu could not generate fund for the establxishment.
3. BBHI: There is no basic infrastructural facilities that will give comfort to those that are coming into Awgu to patronize small business.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research work on “reducing unemployment through the role and establishment of small scale industries. A study of Awgu local government area of Enugu state” will be useful to the government, unemployed, small scale industry operators, banks, other researchers and the public as well.
In this manner, the importance of small scale industries will be appreciated and used by all and sundries for the minimization of unemployment problem in the state and beyond.
This will be seen in the following ways:
(a) Creation of employment.
(b) Manpower training
(c) Contribution in local and regional development.
(d) Waste utilization
(e) Promotion of completion.
(f) Encouraging and sustaining self-reliance.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This work intend to cover only Awgu local government area and the level of small scale growth for the eradication of unemployment.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Unemployment: This is the inability to find work although it is actively sought. Theoretically the unemployed are those members of the active labour force who are out of work. Although in most cases statistics are based on the numbers of people claiming unemployment benefit. Unemployment has been a persistent problem in industrial economics during recession over the last 200 years. The following are types of unemployment.
1. Hidden unemployment: This is the unemployment that does not appear in government statistic. in addition to these people there will be some who are doing very little productive work.
2. Seasonal unemployment: This is the unemployment that occurs as a result of the seasonal nature of some jobs the building trade. Trade for example employs more people in the summer months than the winter months. A considerable amount of agricultural work is seasonal.
Small scale industries: Small scale industries Act of 1953 defined a small scale industries as one that is independently owned and operated and not dominant in its field of operation.
It also consists of enterprises with capital investment of over N1.5 million but not more than N50 million excluding land but including working capital and workforce range of 11-100.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Using our service is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited by any university/college policies
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced)
3. For PROPER paraphrasing ( see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing ( if referenced properly)
Thank you so much for your respect to the authors copyright.
For more project materials
Log on to www.grossarchive.com