AN ANALYSIS OF DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIAN BALANCE OF PAYMENT (1995 – 1999).
In undertaking this project topic, the main objective is to analyze the trends in Nigerian balance of payment with a view to determined whether the country is able to pay her wage internationally within periods of 1995 – 1999. Other objective is to determine whether the monetary and exchange rate policies is effective.
To aid this study, the researcher will make use of both primary and secondary data. The primary data to be used will be collected through top ranking officials in Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) while the secondary data will be collected from books,, journal and other publication.
The data will be presented to tabular form for ease of reference and further analysis. The analysis will be made using percentage to compare the magnitude of economic indicator to be studied..
The significant of this research work is that it is a due to the managers of the economy on monetary and exchange rate policy in addressing Nigerian balance of payment problems.
To the foreign investors, it will provide the citizens of the country a better understanding of how the economy is managed and expectation they shall have from the government. The study will provide the authorities a good insight into the effectiveness of the policy of the past administration which will serve as a guide for future initiatives.
The limitation of this study is financial problem and time. Thus, there will be scarcity of accurate national statistic.
Also, unco-operative attitude by top ranking officials may contribute limitation to this study.
This study, an analysis of development in Nigerian balance of payment (1995 – 1999) was carried out to assertion whether Nigeria has been paying her wages internationally to examine the statement with a view to determine what recent developments have taken place in Nigerians foreign trade and others transaction with the rest of the world.
Information was collected using literary method i.e. various publications, textbooks newspapers, magazines and journals. Also, oral interviews were used to elicit information from some government officials (staff).
It was found out that the exports receipts were sufficient to pay for the imports and settle some international obligations that fell due within the period, the fact remains that the managers of the economy did not exercise a considerable amount of control over the foreign exchange resources.
It was however, recommended that if not for the debt management strategies pursued by government during that period, there would have been more years deficits in the balance of payment position over and above four years recommended.
1.1 Background of the Study
1.2 Statement of Problem
1.3 Objective of the Study
1.4 Research Question
1.5 Research Hypothesis
1.6 Significance of the Study
1.7 Scope and Limitation of the Study
1.8 Definition of Terms
2.0 Review of Related Literature
2.2 Overview of the Study
2.3 The theoretical frame work
2.4 Significance of Balance of Payment Statement
2.5 Causes of Disequilibrium in Balance of payment statement
2.6 Measures for Correcting Disequilibrium
2.7 Nigerian Balance of Payment – an overview
2.8 Summary of the Review Literature
3.0 Research Methodology
3.1 Research Design
3.2 Sources of Data
3.3 Primary Data
3.4 Secondary data
3.5 Interview Question
3.6 Samples used
3.7 Method of Investigation
4.0 Data Presentation
4.1 Testing of Hypothesis
4.2 Analysis and Interpretation
5.0 Discussion, Implications and Recommendation
5.1 Discussion of Results
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The background of this study is to analyze the recent trends in Nigeria balance of payment with a view to determining whether the country was able to pay her way internationally within periods of 1995 – 1999 and to determine whether the monetary and exchange rate policies pursued were effective.
To carryout this study work the main data will be carried out through primary data source, interviewing with Central bank of Nigeria (CBN) and top ranking officials while the secondary data will be collected from an extensive research in CBN as well as other libraries, books, journals and other publications. Further deductive logic will be used to arrive at certain conclusion.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Considering the importance of balance of payments, statement as a source of information for the managers of the Nigerian economy and indeed other interested users of the balance of payment statement, these is a compelling need to constantly analyze the statement with the view of determining:
1. Whether the nation is paying her wages internationally in other words, is the nation paying for goods, drawing down her foreign reserves accumulating foreign liabilities or through the receipt of gifts and donations.
2. Is the country borrowing or lending money to the international community?
3. How effective are the various policy initiatives I checking international payments imbalances?
These problems are what this project is out to investigate.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
1. With due reference to the questions raised on the proceeding section, this researchers intends to collect, collate and analyze data on Nigerian balance of payment position for the period covering 1995 – 1999 all inclusive.
2. It is also the intention of this researcher to critically examine the statement with a view to determining what recent developments have taken place in Nigerians foreign trade and other transactions with the rest of the world.
3. In particular, this researcher will try to ascertain whether Nigeria has been paying her wages internationally.
Not only that, the question as to whether the various policy packages have been effective or not will be thoroughly investigated.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What was the general trend on the balance of payment of Nigeria within the period under study?
2. Were export receipts sufficient to pay for imports and settlement of international obligations within the period?
3. What policy measures were adopted to address balance of payment problems within the period under study and how effective were they?
4. Did exchange rate depreciation through the operations of the foreign exchange market stimulate exports?
5. Did exchange rate depreciation discourage import?
6. Did Nigeria borrow from or lend to the international community within the period under study.
7. Did de-regulation in the economy encourage inflow or outflow of capital?
8. How effective was monetary policy in addressing international payment imbalances within the period under study.
9. Exchange control/import licensing vs. the foreign exchange market as mechanism for foreign exchange allocation, which is a better option for Nigeria?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
In evaluating this research work, we postulate the following hypothesis in determining the analysis of development in Nigerian balance of payment.
1995 – 1999.
The hypothesis are formulated in both Null (Ho) and alternative (Hi).
Ho: The country in question was not able to pay her wages internationally within periods of 1995 – 1999
Hi: The country was able to pay her wages internationally within the periods of 1995 – 1999.
Ho: The monetary and exchange rate policies pursued were not effective.
Hi: The monetary and exchange rate policies pursued were effective.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research work is significant in that it set out to analyze the recent developments in the balance of payments of Nigeria. This work is extremely important in view of the severe economic problems, which this nation has had to grapple with as a result of adverse balance of payments, coupled within effective policies.
The study if fully digested will provide an invaluable information and guide to various groups in difference ways. To the mangers of the economy, a due as to the efficiency or otherwise of the monetary and exchange rate policies in addressing Nigerian balance of payment problems.
To the foreign investors, it will provide an insight into the viability of the Nigerian economy. It will provide the citizens of this country a better understanding of how the economy is managed and expectations they should have from the government.
In particular, the study will provide the authorities a good insight into the effectiveness of the policies of the past administration which will serve as a guide for future policy initiatives.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
For the purpose of this research work, al terms and expressions used shall be attributed their ordinary interpretations unless otherwise stated.
However, the following terms shall mean:
BALANCE OF PAYMENT: A systematic record of economic transaction for a given period between residents of an economy and non-residents.
These transactions include the provision and receipts of real resources – goods services and income and changes in claim on and liabilities tot he rest of the world.
MONETARY POLICY: The management of the expansion and contraction of the volume of money in circulation for the specific purpose of achieving certain declared national objectives.
EXCHANGE RATE POLICY: Exchange rate policy involves choosing a foreign exchange management system and determining the particular rate which foreign exchange transactions will take place.
EFFECTIVENESS: It is defined as the attainment of pre-determined goals.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Using our service is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited by any university/college policies
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced)
3. For PROPER paraphrasing ( see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing ( if referenced properly)
Thank you so much for your respect to the authors copyright.
For more project materials
Log on to www.grossarchive.com