THE ROLE OF INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION IN THE YEAR 2003, 2007 AND 2011 GENERAL ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA
This project work id on the “Roles of Independent National Electoral Commission in the year 2003, 2007 and 2011 general election in Nigeria. For the purpose of analysis, time constraints and inadequate fund the researcher attempt to examine fully only on the 2003 general elections in Nigeria and brief of 2007/2011 general election. The end, the researcher made some recommendations from these findings.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Background of the study
Statement of the problem
Purpose of the study
Significance of the study
Research of the study
Scope of the study
Limitation of the study
Definition of terms
Research design and methodology
Area of the study
Population and sampling technique
Administration of research instrument
Method of data analysis
Analysis of data and discussion of results
Summary and conclusion
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The Independent National Electoral Commission-INEC is the body that is charged with the responsibility of conducting the 2011 general election in all the 36 states of the federation capital territory.
The commission is to ensure that elections are conducted in a free and fair manner and to announce the winners of all the elections throughout the federations. It was established to replace the erstwhile electoral body, The National Electoral Commission of Nigeria (NECON). General Abdulsalami Abudakur’s administration established the current INEC, with Justice Ephraim Akpata as the chairman, justice Akpata oversaw the 1999 elections which death of justice Akpata in January 2000, the administration of president Olusegun Obasanjo appointed Able Guobadia to the position, this was confirmed by the senates of the federal republic of Nigeria, Abel Guobadia was responsible for the 2003 general elections, president Obasanjo was re-elected into power for another 4 year term.
Abel Guobadia, however, retired in June 2005 and was succeeded by Professor Maurice Iwu. Professor was responsible for the 2007 general elections which brought into power the administration of President Musa Yar Adua.
Professor Iwu vacated the office of chairman on the 8th of June 2010 by Professor Aattahiru Muhammadu Jega, Professor Jega was charged with the conduct of the 2011 general election.
On the 18th April, 2011, riot broke out in most of the states in the North West, North central and North Eastern geo-political zones of the country shortly after the result of the presidential election that took place on the 16th April, 2011, were declared. The riot was the culmination of a chain of events which started from January 2011 and reached a crescendo after the presidential election results were declared.
Consequently a presidential panel to invested gate the violence after the 2011 general election was constituted with the following terms of reference:
1) To investigate the immediate and remote cause of the tide of unrest following the presidential election and make appropriate recommendations on how to prevent future occurrence
2) To ascertain the number of persons who lost their lives or sustained injuries during the violence.
3) To identify the spread and extent of loss and damage to mean of livelihood and assess the cost of damage to personal and public properties and places of worship and make appropriate recommendation.
4) To investigate the sources of weapons used in the unrest and recommend how to stem the tide of illegal flow of such weapons into the country
5) To examine any other matter incidental or relevant to the unrest and advice government as appropriate.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
To the presidency which often gave INEC too title money too lake for it to function properly.
To bickering between the executive and legislative arms of the central government which delayed the passing of the first electoral law since the 1998/99 election
The chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said nothing could be more unfair than the public tendency to blame his commission for the crises that have bedeviled Nigeria electoral process like the problem over the registration of new political parties register or constituency delimitation which has sparked internecine communal clashes in places like the Niger Delta region.
In the middle of January of the year 2003, the INEC chairman held on interactive session with top media executives in Lagos, during which he laid the blame for such crisis outside the body itself “there is” he said the erroneous tendency to blame all short comings in the electoral process at the doorstep of the electoral commission “the responsibility for these shortcomings, he said, can be traced mainly.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
It is observed that The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) play deferent role in the year 2003, 2007 and 2011 election. Therefore the following purposes are to be study:
1) To examine the extent to which The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has achieved the purpose for which it was set up
2) To examine the duties they are expected to carry out during the election
3) To examine the problem faced by The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) during the election
4) To suggest the possible solution that may reduce the problem confronting the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
5) It also designed to assist educational planners, parents and students to know more about the role of INEC in the year 2003, 2007 and 2011.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Most people in Nigeria are ignorant of the existence and the innumerable services or roles played by The Independent National Electoral Commission in the transition of the year 2003, 2007 and 2011 election. As a result, this project is specifically designed for the students and the educated people in Nigeria and all other citizens who are interested in it. More so, this project will highlight the problems encountered The Independent National Electoral Commission and possible ways of solving the identified problems will be suggested.
Furthermore, this project will be of benefit to The Independent National Electoral Commission itself. This is because it will help them to identify their strength and weaknesses and ways of improving on its performances.
The following important research questions were formulated to guide the study
1) Do you think that the INEC have any challenges concerning the year 2003, 2007 and 2011 election?
2) Do you believe that there is any incumbency factor?
3) Does your religion disallow election?
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Most students are within the age period of adolescent. This period of human development is k now as a period of storm and stress that period is also complicated that those who fall within it need special guidance, by the parents, teachers, brothers and sisters in order to achieve self satisfaction of life.
This study is aimed at handing the students to a bright in terms of which to meet and experience later in life. The students need to know themselves and other vital information associated with the role of INEC in the year 2003, 2007 and 2011 elections so as to generate better understanding of how we intend to forward, certain suggestions to the INEC workers to develop interest.
DEFINITION OF TERM
This important to define the terms in this study, however the terms in this study area as follows
INEC: This means Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). This is the body that is responsible for the conduct of election in Nigeria.
TRANSITION: A process of passing from one condition, forms, stage, activity, place etc to the other.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Using our service is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited by any university/college policies
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced)
3. For PROPER paraphrasing ( see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing ( if referenced properly)
Thank you so much for your respect to the authors copyright.
For more project materials
Log on to www.grossarchive.com