THE EFFECT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION ON THE LIVES OF PEOPLE
IN UGHELLI NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF DELTA STATE
This study examines the problems of environmental sanitation in Nigerian cities using Ughelli North Local Government Area as a case study. It look at the participation of residents of Ughelli North Local Government Area in environmental sanitation. Furthermore, it examines the adequacy of available equipment and facilities for the environmental sanitation. It tries to find out if there are enough supervisors to supervise the living premises. Finally, it attempts to find out if the complaints of residents of Ughelli North were used on the problem of environmental sanitation in Ughelli North was designed and administered. The study came out with the following findings. 80 percent of the residents of Ughelli North participated in environmental sanitation, 60 percent of the resident of Ughelli North agreed that some residents of their area were arrested for violating environmental sanitation days. 60 percent of the residents are of the opinion that the sanitary inspectors are not enough to supervise living premises. Based on the findings, the study recommended the following.
1. More enlightenment campaigning to educated the people of the danger of dirty environment to enhance the participation in environmental sanitation exercise.
2. Government should provide enough finances to purchase sanitary equipment and facilities to improve the health standard of Ughelli North Local Government Area.
3. Sanitary inspectors and health nurses should pay regular visit to the people to inspect and educate them on good environmental sanitation,.
4. The complaints of residents should be taken into consideration by the task force to enhance sanitation in Ughelli North Local Government Area.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Statement of problem
Purpose of the study
Significance of the study
Definition of terms
Review of related literature
Administration of instruments
Data analysis techniques
Findings and discussions
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Environmental sanitation has a very long history but in recent time it gained significance attention during the reign of General Mohammed Buhari in 2005 by the setting up of task forces in the State of the federation. There is a deliberate policy put in place by the state government to attract all. In each of the 25 local government area of Delta State with a chief inspector to the environmental sanitation on the lives of the people in Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State. The different units in Ughelli Northern Local Government include the following;
i. Regulated premises units: This units is incharge of preparing and preservation of food.
ii. Standard Units: They collect statistical data and send to federal ministry of health every month.
iii. Operation Units: This task forces listens to complaints from the public and find solution to such complaints.
iv. Health education Unit: This units is in charge of public campaign in order to educate the people.
v. Inspectorate unit: They ensure that the market leaders are doing their job in terms of sweeping and cleaning of drains.
vi. Sewage disposal unit: This unit helps to remove sewage from soak away pit.
General over view of the people of Ughelli Northern Local Government Area of Delta State has a land area demography and baselines sector on environmental sanitation on the lives of people in Ughelli North Local Government Area. The environment in which individual dwell should be healthy World Health Organization (WHO, 2009). Define health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well being not merely the absence of diseases or infirmity for our local government area to grow and develop, it should have within its boundaries healthy citizens.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The problem of environmental sanitation in all nation is as a result of urbanization which is accompanied by industrialization and public development. The fact is that this discharge from public place is toxic in nature and a way of leading to underdevelopment in the country. In the light of this, the following questions are ask;
1. In what ways does man contribute to environmental sanitation?
2. How can Ughelli North Local Government Area carryout some measurement to fight against environmental sanitation.
3. How can resident of Ughelli North participate regularly in environmental sanitation?
4. How can individual will be provided with enough equipment and facilities?
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
1. To investigate if the resident of Ughelli North Local Government Area participate in environmental sanitation regularly.
2. To provide information if there are enough inspectors to supervise the living premises.
3. To discover the available equipment and facilities for environmental sanitation.
4. To find out if the refuse generated in the markets are regularly disposed.
5. To examine if the complaints of the resident of Ughelli North Local Government Area are taken into consideration by the task force.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
i. Does the resident of Ughelli North Local government Area participate regularly in the environmental sanitation?
ii. Are there enough inspectors to supervise the cleanness of the living premises and market places?
iii. What are the available equipment and facilities for environmental sanitation?
iv. Is the refuse generated from markets regularly disposed?
v. Did the complaints of the residents of Ughelli North taken into consideration by the task force.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be of significance in several ways. First and foremost it will help government to have first hand information on environmental sanitation on the lives of the people in Ughelli North. Considering the fact that environmental sanitation is a vital importance in the lives of people or individual. Furthermore, the study will help the people to acquire relevant skill towards environmental sanitation. And enlighten the general public on the adequacy of the equipment and facilities for environmental sanitation.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The subject matter of the study include the participation in the environmental sanitation by the resident of Ughelli North Local Government Area and available equipment and facilities.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Incinerate: A place where all solid refuse are burnt.
Composition: This is a method used to allow refuse kept in pits to decay on the soil as fertilizers which is speed on the soil as fertilizers.
Septic tank: A place where sewage is purified by bacterial activities.
Cesspit: This is a large container used by house to receive their faecal matters.
Pulverization: This is a method where by refuse is broken into pieces by machines.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Using our service is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited by any university/college policies
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced)
3. For PROPER paraphrasing (see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing (if referenced properly)
Thank you so much for your respect to the authors copyright.
For more project materials
Log on to www.grossarchive.com