THE PROBLEMS AFFECTING TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN NIGERIA,
A CASE STUDY OF THE COLLEGE OF EDUCATION EKIADOLOR, BENIN.
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
This project work is directed to find out the problems affecting tertiary institutions in Nigeria, a case study of the college of education Ekiadolor, Benin.
As the problems which cut across different sphere of our constitution.
Problem according to oxford advanced learners dictionary (2007) is a thing that is difficult to deal with or to understand.
Tertiary institution according to oxford advanced learner’s dictionary, a third education that deals with services rather than materials or goods.
Tertiary institutions in Nigeria in a dilapidating state. It is a society where priorities are entered into their heads. For instance the salaries of the less educated local government counselors are higher than that of the university lecturers according to Bolkg (2002) opined that Nigeria has about 42 public universities 46 polytechnics and 68 college of education. Dike (1999) in addition private universities that have been approved and registered by the federal government.
Such as Bowen University, Igbinedion University, Madona University e.t.c.
Oladeji (2002). If Nigeria cannot give adequate and quality education to students at the elementary and secondary levels, the tertiary institutions will continue to be populated by those who are least prepared to face the rigours of the University of Education could be an important part of education could be an important part of the solutions to the ills of the society. As noted early, how much a nation progresses has a lot to do with the quality of education and educational attainment of its citizens, that is why the Nigeria should build and maintain good schools and treat the sor did state of education as public health, crisis in the society.
Nigeria has to change the value system of education and invest on education, which is the intellectual laboratory of any society.
For one to say or highlight the problems affecting tertiary institutions in Nigeria, a case study of college of education Ekiadolor, as these problems which cut across different spheres of our institution in the blue print of our higher institution have not been realistic from the inception of our tertiary institution. But however, let us see the aims of tertiary institution in Nigeria.
Tertiary institution in Nigeria is the post secondary section of the national education system which is given in universities, polytechnics and colleges of education, the advanced teacher training college, correspondence colleges and such institution are may be allied to them.
AIMS OF TERTIARY INSTITUTION
1. The acquisition, development and inculcation of the proper value orientation for the survival of the individual and society.
2. The development of the intellectual capacities of individuals to understand and appreciate their environments.
3. The acquisition of both physical and intellectual skills which will enables individual to develop into useful members of the community.
4. The acquisition of an objective view of the local and external environment.
Tertiary institutions should pursue these goals through;
II. Research and dissemination of existing and new information.
III. The pursuit of service to the community
IV. Being a store house of knowledge
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
Some of the problems affecting students in the tertiary institutions are stated below;
1. Inadequate portable water supply is also one of the problem affecting tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
2. Inadequate lecture hall also affects the student in tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
3. Inadequate finance that affects the academic performance of most students.
4. Problem of insecurity affects students in tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
5. Problem of teaching/learning facilities.
6. Problem of access road to the college which posses a lot of problem directly to the student.
7. problems of cases of cult activities which render the killing of the students
8. Problems of hostel accommodation affects student in tertiary institution in Nigeria.
As a result of the above mentioned problems, many students feel reluctant to study or come into the college of education Ekiadolor to study directly or indirectly; this calls for the attention of the researchers to properly investigate and recommend solutions into these problems affecting the students in the college of education Ekiadolor Benin. If is not done, the students involvement into social interactions and relation including more relations continue to be affected.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose or objective of the study is to identify the problems affecting tertiary institutions the causes and effects of these problems and suggests possible solutions to the problem.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research work will be undertaking in Edo state, but for the purpose of being specific, it is narrowed to Ovia north east local government area of Edo state.
1. To what extent will you say that inadequate learning facilities have contributed to the problems affecting tertiary institutions.
2. Can electricity be an impediment to the process of schooling.
3. To what extent can inadequate lecture hall affects students.
4. Inadequate portable water contributes to the problems affecting tertiary institutions.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
At the end of the research work, the result will help or enable the college of authority to know or identify the problems affecting the students in the college, the researcher will recommend valuable solutions and the authority on the other hand will provide suitable solution to eradicate those problems stated above.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Problem: some thing that is difficult to deal or a thing that affects and individual,
Affecting: producing strong feelings of sadness andsympathy.
Tertiary institution: is an institution with higher learning that provides education for people from aged 16 and older. It can be university, polytechnic, college of education, university of science and technology e.t.c
Inadequate: not enough, not good enough.
Educational system: is an institution where all process of teaching, training and learning are involved.
Nigeria: a nation considered as a group of people the same language, culture and history which live in a particular area under one government, an independent
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Using our service is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited by any university/college policies
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced)
3. For PROPER paraphrasing ( see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing ( if referenced properly)
Thank you so much for your respect to the authors copyright.
For more project materials
Log on to www.grossarchive.com