FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HIGH RATE OF DROPOUT COLLEGE OF EDUCATION IN NIGERIA: A CASE STUDY OF COLLEGE OF EDUCATION EKIADOLOR-BENIN
The assessment of the causes of student drop out in the college was done using three methods: namely: the use of questionnaire, official record and personal interview. Fifty copies of the structured Questionnaire were administered to student In the college. The data collected were subjected to percentage distribution ranges.
The research revealed that there is a retrogression development, which is not helpful especially to student from poor homes. This has led to the student inability to meet the financial requirement of the college authority.
The study concludes the ugly development, resulting from growing decadence in values of the society and inappropriate government policy on education should be arrested for the good of society.
Therefore, a package of strategies to enhance stability in the college of education is proposed.
1. Government should provide guidance and counselling to students in the Colleges.
2. Teachers and parents should cooperate to discipline the students.
3. Good health facilities should be provided.
Background to the study
Scope of the study
Justification of the study
Objective of the study
Meaning of drop out of school
Social influence (peer group)
Impact of Adolescent Age
Social influence (family background)
Age Disparity in classroom
Research design and methods
Result and discussion
BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
The colleges of education are designed not only to impact broad based knowledge to their students but also to groom and impact in them the abilities to impact knowledge to others.
In another word, the colleges are designed as teaching and preparatory institutions to empower future teachers with sound and productive knowledge in line with the dynamic and systematic growth f the society.
Well-groomed grandaunts of these colleges go into schools to produce knowledgeable pupils right from the primary to the secondary school level of the education system in the country for our tertiary institutions.
Thus, these colleges have become the primary institution on which our universities and research institution can develop and flourish.
This is why the increasing numbers of studentsí dropout in those colleges have become cause for serious concern to government and well meaning individuals in the society.
This study is limited to college of education, Ekiadolor (in Ovia North East Local Government Area of Edo State). It is believed that the situation in this college is applicable to other colleges of Education in the country.
1. Does financial demand of the course programme leads to studentsí dropout?
2. Does the college environment e.g. poor classrooms and lack of teaching aids negatively impact on them?
3. What effects have the larger society on the students particularly the non-residential students?
4. Does the prospects of employment and job satisfaction have any effect on students dropout?
5. Does the age disparity in studentsí population have any effects on studentsí dropout?
6. Does the stock of out dated and irrelevant materials (books) ion the school library have any effects on studentsí dropout?
7. Does lack of recreational facilities in school cause students dropout?
8. Does the expansion nature of the subject taken in the course of studies have any effects on studentsí dropout?
A good large number of students are admitted at the beginning of a semester and only few numbers are found at the end of the semester. Worst still, only fewer numbers are found to be graduating from their course of studies. Such situation cannot be tolerated in a society in dire need for manpower development.
Hence, the study is to identify causes of the growing incidence of dropout in the college and its negative effect on meeting the demands of manpower in the society.
Based on the above significance, the research will provide case studies on causes of college dropout among the students of college of education.
1. Examine the characteristics of the problems faced by the students in the college will leads to dropout.
2. Profess possible solution to the problems that leads to the increasing rate of studentsí dropout in college.
School dropout: By school dropout, we mean students admitted into the college but could not complete their course of studies for various reasons.
Broad based: By this we mean large number of subjects made compulsory in the course of study.
Cutting corners: This means finding the easiest ways to solving a problem, unmindful of the illegality and consequences of the ways.
Pay through their noses: This means that students pay with great difficulties in severe hardships.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Using our service is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited by any university/college policies
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced)
3. For PROPER paraphrasing (see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing (if referenced properly)
Thank you so much for your respect to the authors copyright.
For more project materials
Log on to www.grossarchive.com