In this research work the researcher intended to have a general discussion with local government as my background.
But lack of space may not allow me for detailed discussion an analysis.
However all essential part of the role of local government in economic development of Nigeria are discussed.
In chapter one I discussed the background the problems objective research question significance scope limitations definition of major terms and the references.
In chapter two contains review of related literature local government and economic development process history of local government in Nigeria and references.
Furthermore chapter three contains collection of data presentation of data analysis of data and references.
Finally chapter four contains summary of finding recommendation conclusion.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
This study is a modest attempt at a lucid explication of the role of local government in Nigeria.
Nigeria local government system has witnessed tremendous transformation since the introductions of the 1988 civil services reforms and its application at the local government administration one of the changes introduced to strengthen the local government is the direct payment of their statutory allocations which was increased from 20% to 25% in addition local government auditor was established in each state government to ensure proper utilization of financial resources at the local level to check any misappropriation of public funds.
Also all local government now has a common structure which distinguish them for services department.
Local government at any level has some stand and roles such as the maintain of law and order the promotion of economic development they are left with considerable freedom to act as they see fit for the interest of the local community.
From the point of view the government as agent of development are will place to help the rural areas to develop these can be done by investing in economic infrastructure such as road bridge 100spitals school electrification and telecommunication the other essential duties inherited from the native authorities include rural and urban water supplies markets and libraries. We generally regard the convenience list as including those extra amenities which make for a better life in the community other than those life in community other than those which are concerned with fighting discuss e.g bus and lorry parks. The regulation of hand carts on the street community and reaction centers parks and open spaces grazing area and fuel plantations the manning of street and the numbering of buildings these are recognized as automatically the responsibility of the local government.
They also help in the services of park control and supply of water electricity and gas the provision of road and water transport and any other trading undertaking that the state government specifically authorizes.
The local government also take care for a specifically health orientation and supplying of drugs a midwifery services to arrange for health visiting and home nursing to provide facilities for vaccination and immunization.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Local government is expected to become meaningful in facilitating economic development at the grassroots level central to the achievement of these objectives is the financial viability of this tier of government. This point has been subtly underscored by “Dasuk Panel on local government administration when it observed inter alia that a good number of local government roles could not be performed at all due to a variety of reason principle among which are:
a. Inadequate financial capacity
b. Lack of necessary technical manpower and erosion of functions particularly in the revenue yielding areas by state government- thus reducing the revenue base of the local government.
This demonstrates that success or failure of local government depends among other thing in their revenue base the fiscal resources available and the way these resources are utilized.
However central to the above is the ability of the local government to general substantial financial resources which is one of the tripartite goals of every local government in Nigeria more importantly one is inclined to think that this is the point that can give an impact in breaking the vicious cycle of poverty of Enugu East local government the researcher wants to identify the reasons for the vicarious cycle and proper a solution to the above problems.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This study seeks to looks at the contribution of local government in economy development of Nigeria using Enugu East local government area of Enugu state.
This research also aimed at identifying differed factors militating the effectiveness of local government and solution to those problems identified and it will be offered ant the completion of the research work..
Finally the study makes a modest attempt to fulfill this purpose in the economic development of the effective delivery of services to the respective local populations scattered all over the country. It also maker a recommendations on making local government an effective third level of government the development and management of the human resources of local government and the development of the financial resources of local government the overall thrust of the recommendation is on how to ensure faithful implementation of local government.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
The research question for work will be based on the following
1. Do local government have any role to play in the economic development of rural area
2. To what extent has government administration played its roles in rural area
3. Does low morale among the staff of local government militate development of rural
4. Is the any constraints that militate against the success of development process of local government
5. Does weak financial base hinder the goals meeting up rural development
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The need and importance of the research is obvious. At a time when local government has come to assume an overwhelming influence on the process of political and economic development.
It becomes more relevant to examine much more closely the characters and dynamics of this three tier of government and to clarify the major construction that have landed to impede its capacity to promote development at local level.
However a scientific study of this kind become necessary especially at this time when the past and present civilian administrations are particularly concern about rural development.
Finally this study will generally add to the growing numbers of literature on local government affairs more particularly on the roles of local government administration in economic development of rural area in Nigeria and programmatic solutions offered towards making them more efficient and responsive to the needs of rural Nigerians it also to policy makers and researcher alike.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research area and dimension of coverage is based on only the roles of local government administration in economic development of rural area in Nigeria and to the staff teaches businessmen farmers in Enugu east local government of Enugu state
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The researcher is also affected by the usual constraints and problem prominent in similar researcher in Nigeria.
These constraints were summarized below.
1. Finance: This created a lot of problems to researchers in the cause of carrying out proper investigation of this research but this was not enough because of other uses in which it is been put to
2. Time Constraints: The time available for the research work was very limited with other assignment and preparation for examination has caused a barrier to the researcher findings
3. Dearth of Statistical Data and Information: As a result of lack of documental data the research work appears to be some how written for easy understanding.
1.8 DEFINITION OF MAJOR TERMS
The following terms have been defined for the purpose of this study.
1. Local government: This is government at a local level exercised through representative council established by laws toe exercise specific functions with in a defined area
2. Development: Development is a multidimensional process involving a re-organizational and re-orientation of the entire economic system in addition to improve income and outcome. Its typically involves radical changes in institution social as well popular attitude and sometimes even customers and belief.
3. Council: This refers to the organ the constitute representation of people either elected or nominated
4. Economic development: This economic development embraces improvement in standard of living and per capital income but also high level of employment reducing inflation adequate food high infrastructures stressing values rather than achievement.
5. Objectives: These are end result to which an organization or government activity directed objectives are hierarchical in nature are determined to formulate by top management of an organization after economic social & political force affecting the organization have been apprized.
6. Programmes: This consists of essentially integrated series of development projects that spans over a length of time
Adekunle O.S (1978) Community Development Process New York city
Stewart J.O (1971) Management in local government A view point London
Charles Knight & Co Ltd
Geoffery D.B (1957) Organization &practice of local government case studies
in the printing industry London longman
Nmor A.I (1969) The future of government in Nigeria University of the press.