DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF WEB BASED HALL ALLOCATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FOR EXAMINATION
WEB BASED HALL ALLOCATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM is software developed for managing various activities in the Hall. For the past few years the number of educational institutions is increasing rapidly. Thereby the number of Halls is also increasing for the accommodation of the students studying in this institution. And hence there is a lot of strain on the person who are running the Hall and softwares are not usually used in this context. This particular project deals with the problems on managing
a Hall and avoids the problems which occur when carried manually. Identification of the drawbacks of the existing system leads to the designing of computerized system that will be compatible to the existing system with the system which is more user friendly and more GUI oriented. We can improve the efficiency of the system, thus overcome the drawbacks of the existing system
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
1.2. STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
1.3. RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
1.4 SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
1.6. RESEARCH METHOLODOGY
1.7. LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
2.0 LITERATURE REVIEW
2.1 HALL ALLOCATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
2.2. SEATING ARRANGEMENT
2.3. SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT
2.2.1 HALL MODULE
3.1 SYSTEM ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENT
3.2 FEASIBILITY STUDY
3.3 REQUIREMENT ANALYSIS AND SPECIFICATION CHAPTER 4
4.0. SYSTEM TESTING AND IMPLEMENTATION
4.1. SYSTEM TESTING
4.2. SYSTEM SPECIFICATION HW/SW
4.2.1. SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE REQUIREMENT
4.3. RESULT OF THE RESEARCH WOR
4.4. USERS MANUAL
5.0. SUMMARY AND LIMITATION
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Examinations, whether written or oral, have been identified by educational institutions, examination bodies and other establishments providing training, as the best means of determining the competence of a person after having been exposed to a set of training experiences. Examinations play a crucial role in shaping what happens in higher institution and schools in general. Every institution has examination held at particular interval. Placing the students for appearing in the exams is an important of the procedure. This project is attributed to design a web based hall allocation system for examination and seating arrangement which will automatically places student in their respective hostel seats according to their allotted numbers. This project work reviews the salient features of examinations in higher institution and improving current practices focusing specifically on Federal Polytechnic Adamawa.
However, a list of tasks are required in order to organize an effective hall avocation system for examination in the institution such as assigning each subject to a different hall, assigning a set of proctors to each examination hall, and assigning a seating layout for each examination hall. These tasks usually involve a lot of data
from many sources. For example, the registration information provides the list of subjects, the list of students in each subject, the list of Invigilators in each subject. In addition, the available rooms to be assigned as examination rooms are limited and must be considered as a constraint. This leads to an idea of developing an application which can be said to allocate the seating arrangement and exam hall to students in an examination environment.
Hall: A hall is essentially a form of large venue that offers reasonably wide avenue, to carry out activities to different users for either events, meeting, ceremony, examination, lecture or other uses.
A management information system (MIS): is a system that provides information needed to manage organizations effectively. In 1912, in Altena Castle in Germany, Richard Schirrmann created the first permanent Jugendherberge or "Youth Hall". These first youth hall were an exponent of the ideology of the German Youth Movement to let poor city youngsters breathe fresh air outdoors. The youths were supposed to manage the hall themselves as much as possible, doing chores to keep the costs down and build character as well as being physically active outdoors. Because of this, many Youth Hall closed during the middle part of the day.
There are several differences between halls and hotels, including:
1. Halls tend to be budget-oriented; rates are considerably lower, and many hall of residence have programs to share books, DVDs and other items.
2. For those who prefer an informal environment, halls do not usually have the same level of formality as hotels.
3. For those who prefer to socialize with their fellow guests, halls usually have more common areas and opportunities to socialize. The dormitory aspect of halls also increases the social factor.
The existing hall allocation system is still been faced with issues, bascally because of it's manual system of seating arrangement and hall allocation to students, this project work is brought up to tackle the above problem. In order to have a successful result during examination period, certain measures should have been taken before the commencement of the examination, the components of the halls to be used must correctly be spelt out, that is, the total number of halls to be used, capacities of each hall, and the total number of students writing each exam must be noted.
With the growth in information technology, this study offers numerous values to improve on the existing hall allocation examination system, by designing an efficient hall allocation system. It is an automated system that will automate exam center allocation and also allocate the seating arrangement of students in the
examination hall. This software can be greatly used in every institution for any kind of exam or sometimes even event management. It decreases time and makes the procedure very systematic.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The growing number of students in higher institutions all over the world has posed a lot of accommodation problem on the part of students and school management. Management at the beginning of each session waste half of the semester looking for ways to plan for the upcoming examinations.
The manual method of examination hall allocation and seat allocation to student during the examination has become situations that need attention. There is a need to computerize a system that will assist the management in the allocation of examination center and seating arrangement using student identification for examination.
The few available halls that exist in the universities are not properly managed. Statistics of the number of lecure rooms required to match the growing number of students are far fetched.. Hall administrators cannot give accurate information of the occupancy of a particular hall. These and many more form the statement of the problem that necessitated this research work.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The project is designed to help in the management of hall allocation in the university during examination period. The main objective of the new system includes:
1) Design and develop a central database system that would serve as hall allocation database, which will contain information on all the available rooms in the hall
2) Design a computer driven hall allocation system for allocating lecture rooms to students during examination.
3) Provide an automatic system that will reduce the work load of the chief examiner, examination staff and the HOD of the department.
4) Provide quicker and more efficient services for examination hall allocation and seat identification using automated system.
5) To generate reports on hall occupancy.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The new system designed for computer driven students hall allocation will among other things:
1. Facilitate timely allocation of hall allocation to to students before and during examination period.
2. Check the availability of hall occupancy at any time for information management.
3. Enable management to plan on improving hall living deteriorating condition.
4. Have first hand information on the statistics of students in a certain hall during examination.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This project is detailed theoretical and experimental study of web based or automation hall allocation system and and seat allocation system. The implementation will be based on the examination halls and seat allocation system to the student who want to write exam in Federal Polytechnic Adamawa.
The research work will cover among other things:
1. Hall allocation
2. Hall room student registration for examnation
3. Student reports.
The research will be carried out using Federal Polytechnic Yola Adamawa State.
1.6. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
The system is designed using web based specific programming language and a database application written in PHP (hypertext preprocessor) with the combination of CSS (cascading style sheet), HTML, XAMPP server as frontend and MySQL as backend.
Some of the constraints encountered during this project design include the following:
1. Financial Constraints: The design was achieved but not without some financial involvements. One had to pay for the computer time. Also the typing and planning of the work has its own financial involvements.
2. High programming Technique: The programming aspect of this project posed a lot of problematic bugs that took us some days to solve. Problems such database connections using VB and MS Access database posed a lot of challenges.
3. Few Literature Sources: The topic though seems to be a common term; it is not a popular topic to surf from the Internet. It had fewer literature sources.
|Account Name||Obiaks Business Venture|