DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A CLOUD BASED DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT PROCESSING SYSTEM
Cloud Computing is a new paradigm of computing which has evolved in recent times, it’s a platform where hardware and software are delivered to users in a manner that resembles the way utilities such as electricity are delivered to households today (Flanagan, 2002). Cloud computing is an online form of computing where users can access applications (especially, Web-Based Applications) via a web-browser, while the application is installed and stored on a data center which comprises several servers.
1.2 Background of Study
Cloud in computing domaindescribes the use of a collection of services, applications, information, and infrastructureswhich comprises pools of virtualization technology, disk storage, inexpensive servers, and network. These components can be rapidly orchestrated, provisioned, implemented, commissioned and scaled up or down providing for an on-demand utility-like model of allocations and consumption. As the users increasingly demand to satisfy their immediate information needs, the cloud has become a preferred platform to deliver such information. However, in cloud computing, cloud does not just only include data pipes, routers, and servers, it also involves providing services and capabilities to build applications. The importance of cloud computing has emerge as the bedrock of modern information system which can neither be overemphasized nor overlooked. An enterprise cloud computing is a controlled, internal place that offers rapid and flexible provisioning of compute power, storage, software, and security services.
In these age of complex business intelligence and big-data enterprise, enterprise cloud computing has corroborate with enterprise web applications which now serves as core business model that manages full-fledged collaborative workflow-based applications, spanning multiple individuals, small scale business, IT inclined and non-inclined large scale businesses as well asorganizations. Cloud enables enterprises to unleash their potential for innovation through greater intelligence, creativity, flexibility and efficiency, all at reduced cost.
1.3 Statement of Problem
Cloud computing as a new innovation and ultimate solution for utility and distributed computing on Web Applications has been used by billions of users across the globe since its inception. Its implementation and impact cut across several fields, disciplines and businesses acrossthe globe. Nevertheless, cloud computing have been bedeviled by certain obstacles, the goal of this research study is to discern the factors affecting performance andprovide some solutions or guidelines to cloud users that might run into performance problems:
1. Integrity and protection of information deployed or stored in the cloud domain as oppose the traditional approach of information storage.
2. Ability to transform data from diverse sources into intelligence and deliver intelligence information to right users and systems.
3. The need for load balancing and traffic control when multiple users access the cloud service.
4. Need to address the scalability issue: Large scale data, high performance computing, automaton, response time, rapid prototyping, and rapid time to production.
5. Security, privacy and trust issues from the end users of cloud services.
6. Adopting cloud as a platform to enhance a vibrant business intelligence environment.
1.4 Aim and Objectives
The aim of the research work is to design a cloud based document management and resource sharing system that provides solution to factors affecting performance, security and reliability in the cloud computing domain. This research study has the following objectives:
1. To offer a controlled approach for the problem of security, privacy and trust issues from the end users of cloud services.
2. To offer benchmark for the amount of resources users can store in the cloud service which solves the problem of scalability and load balancing.
3. To offer provision of on-demand utility to users of the cloud service at a quick response time.
1.5 Significance of the Study
The application of Information technology cuts across every facet of human endeavor (Izevbizua, 2013). The significance of this research study is:
1. It offers guarantee on the quality of cloud computing services.
2. It offers an easy information sharing platform for the users.
3. It highlights and solves the problem of multi-tenancy (where a single application instance may serve hundreds of users or subscribers).
4. It offers a measured security of information stored in the cloud domain.
1.6 Limitations of the Study
This study is constrained by certain factors which constitute limitations of the study:
1. The problem of data size limit assign to subscribers of the system may not allow users to deploy as much resources as they desire to store and share among other users.
2. The expense of acquiring a space on the cloud service provider was tasking initially. This lead to the concentration of the study to some restricted scope.
3. The measure of resource security within the cloud domain may not suit users; which gives room for improvement of resource security in further research.
1.7 Organization of the Work
This research study is organized in the following chapters:
1. Chapter one deals with the Introduction, which includes Background of Study, Statement of problems, Aims and Objectives, Significance of Study, Limitations of Study, Organization of Study, Definition of Terms.
2. Chapter two reviews related literature of the research study.
3. Chapter three highlights the system analysis and design.
4. Chapter four deals with the implementation of the system developed.
5. Chapter five gives an exhaustive conclusion of the research work.
1.8 Definition of Terms
1. Server: It is any combination of hardware or software designed to provide services to clients.
2. Client: It requests and consumes the services provided by another having the role of server.
3. Virtualization: It is the ability to separate the OS from the hardware that operates it.
4. Private Cloud: It is an approach for designing, implementing and managing servers, applications and data center resources by reducing complexity, increasing standardization and automation, and provide elasticity.
5. Web Application: It is any software application that depends on the Web for its correct execution.
6. PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor is a server-side scripting language designed for web development as well as general purpose programming language.
7. DBMS: Database Management System is a computerized record keeping system that comprises collection of data organized to service many applications at the same time.