1.1 Statement Of The Problem
1.2 Purpose Of The Study
1.3 Aims And Objectives Of The Study
1.4 Scope Of The Study
1.5 Limitations Of The Study
1.7 Definition Of Terms
2.0 Literature Review
3.0 Description & Analysis Of The Existing System
3.1 Fact-Finding Methods Used
3.1.1 Interview Method
3.1.2 Observation Method
3.2 Objectives Of The Existing System
3.3 Input Process / Output Analysis
3.3.1 Input Process
3.3.2 Output Analysis
3.4 Information Flow Diagram
3.5 Problems Of The Existing System
3.6 Justification For The New System
4.0 Design Of The New System
4.1 Factors Considered In Designing The System
4.2 Output Specification And Design
4.3 Input Specification And Design
4.4 File Design
4.5 Feedback Page Design
4.6 Search Page Design
4.7 System Requirements
4.8 Hardware Requirement
4.9 Software Requirement
5.0 Implementation / Web – Site Design
5.1 Program Flow Chart
5.1.1 Sign – In – Page
5.1.2 Home Page
5.1.3 Feedback Page
5.1.4 Content Page
5.2 Pseudo Code
5.3 Source Program
Information Technology is able to facilitate the revolution of changes, which optimize performance and profitability to companies because it provides solution to one of the key business and communication barriers; distance and difficulties associated with crossing them. Emergence of Internet and its technologies has led to the death of distance and collapsed the entire world into a “Global Village”.
The word Virtual means many things to many people, but according to Encarta Encyclopedia: Virtual means being something in effect even if not in reality or not conforming to the general accepted definition of term. Again it can be seen as used to describe a particle whose existence is suggested to explain observed phenomena but is not proved or directly observable. Finally, it can be seen as simulated by a computer for reasons of economics, convenience, or performance.
The term “Virtual Library” emanates from Virtual Reality; the virtual reality is a system that enables one or more users to look, more, and react in a computer-simulated world. Various types of interface devices allow users to have the illusory experiences of seeing, touching, picking up, and even manipulating virtual (simulated) objects. Virtual worlds and everything in them, (including computer images of the participants) are represented by mathematical models and computer programs.
A library can be seen as a room, building or institution where a collection of books or other research materials is kept or a collection of books, newspapers, records, tapes, or other materials that are valuable for research or a collection of things for use on a computer, for example programs or diskettes, or a collection of routines or instructions used by a computer program.
But, may looking at all this our main aim on this project is to make a library look virtual; thereby making the collection of books and other research materials to be in electronics form, for global access across the globe term “Virtual Library”.
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
In Nigeria as a developing country, most institutions and large organization are not yet able to create or setup standard library for their organizations especially schools (higher school in the country), thereby making it difficult for their members to have access to research data and valuable materials.
It also limits them from knowing what is happening in the globe. It is likely one of the major cause or out-dated knowledge that students suffer in institution of higher learning in Nigeria.
To cope with high pace technology in this information age, the researcher is prompted to provide an effective channel or medium that will serve as a virtual library through which university students and organization of different kind can have access in any-part of the world for retrieving information and for their knowledge update.
1.2 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
In the context of technological advancement, computer is playing a leading and indispensable role. This is based on its ability to provide or perform a lot of tasks.
Based on this, the purpose of this study is to discourage the manual and time wasted in the process of going through bookshelves in search of books or information or data(s) in the library and also to make research material available at a point.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
Computer being one of the newest development in technology, the populace fail to apprehend its multiples retrieving importance. This study will first
• Aim at utterly clearing off the misconceptions and biases about computer and discouraging the boring method of creating awareness, which does not extend to a wide society.
• To provide the globe with Virtual Library where they will go in need of vital and research information.
• To create a Virtual Library that will be easily updated.
• To minimize research time and make it more efficient.
• To setup a Virtual Library where electronics books will be centralized.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research work is strictly based on SAMS Publishing, Macmillan Computer Publishing’s and other electronics based publishing company that make use of the Internet, for knowledge repository.
The research also looks into necessary items and information which schools need especial the computer science students of various level; and at the same time prepares a web-site where the Virtual Library will be published, for global access.
1.5 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
A lot of factors posed as problem to the development of this study:
• Time: Because the project must be completed within a specified date, the researchers do not have enough time to get all required.
• This project is limited to only computer textbooks and some news journals and magazines.
• Resources: Lack of resources also contributed to the limitations of the project to this extends. Everybody knows the financial state of the country now.
The only assumption made in this work is that the users of this Virtual Library must be On-Line and must run Microsoft Internet Explorer in other to have access to the Library; and the web-site is in conformity with all the rule based on site development and will not in any form cause windows illegal operation, or misdirects the user. Finally, it is users friendly.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
It has become necessary to define some of the technical terms used in their work as this will help to make the work easily understood to many lay-people, in other professions.
• HTML (Hypertext Markup Language): The formatting language that makes use of tags to specify how text and other item will be displayed in the browser.
• HOME PAGE: The starting point for a web site, usually the first or main page displayed upon visiting a site.
• FTP (File Transfer Protocol): A protocol and a program used to transfer files between computer on network or Internet.
• PROTOCOL: The rule that govern communication devices on a communication environment.
• SERVER: A device or process that responds to request from clients, (terminal).
• TERMINAL: The end point of a network where data can be entered or outputted.
• INTERNET: A global Network of interconnected computers and Networks.
• INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER (ISP): A company that provide individual and companies with an account of accessing the Internet.
• PUBLISH: To make a site available to other users of Internet.
• WEB SITE: A collection of information-based pages published to the net for accessible by net users.
• INTERNET EXPLORER: The software from Microsoft developed for net stuffing or browse ring or searching